Sunday, March 9, 2014

Safe and Insecure

       Hello.

     My name is Megan.

     I don't believe we've met.

     Oh yes, you've seen me, but you've never gotten a close look. Sure, we've talked, but you don't really know what I'm thinking. Perhaps you've seen me weep, heard me laugh, but I know you don't really understand what I'm feeling. You see, I've made it my goal to keep you out. I've devoted every ounce of spare energy in my life to making you believe I am someone I'm really not. I do this because I am sure if you knew me, truly saw me, you would not like who I am and what I have to give. My name is Megan, and I am safe and insecure.



     Here is the girl you know:







Megan Forsyth Bolton

Graduated from WCHS in the top 10 of her class

Attended JSU on scholarship and graduated in 4 years with honors

Involved in many clubs, organizations, and honor societies in high school and in college

Hired right out of college for dream job and recognized as an outstanding first year teacher
Top 3 in system test scores every year (so far)
Tenured teacher who loves her job and her students
Incredibly close family 
Amazing best friends
Newlywed 
Woman in love with the Lord
Worshiper
Prayer Warrior




Here is the girl I know:







Megan Forsyth Bolton

Has battled with anxiety, depression, weight control, OCD, and trichotillomania for 12 years

Never had her hair styled by a professional

Wears a wig to cover years of damage and the fact that she still pulls her hair out

Spent every day of her freshman health class in dread of being in the same room with the upperclassman who made fun of her
Lives terrified that when people find out, they will think she is a freak
Lies about her problem to avoid judgement and ridicule
Serial Dater in college in an attempt to make herself feel attractive
Dealt with boyfriends telling her no one would ever "put up with you" like they did
Doesn't think her husband could possibly find her attractive without a wig on
Can't stand to look in the mirror 
Has a hard time believing she will ever be whole and healed
Feels like anything but beautiful


     

     I have spent half of my life hiding. I have spent half of my life believing I was crazy, ugly, and unworthy of love. I have lived in fear that every whisper is about me, every word of disapproval and discontentment is because of me. I have convinced myself that if I were to tell people the truth about me, I would no longer be welcomed, no longer be wanted. And so I begin every day by covering up the truth. I coat my face with foundation to cover every spot I've picked at, line my eyes, layer the mascara over my lashes, and dust my cheeks with blush. I brush my teeth for unhealthy lengths of time because I just can't stop until it feels "right," slide on my control-top spanks, and get dressed. I stand in front of the mirror and watch myself pull out hair after hair, disgusting myself with my inability to stop, and then, I put on my wig with its perfectly colored plastic strands and hide the last bit of the truth about me.

     When my students ask why my hair never grows, I brush them off. When adults ask me where I get my hair done, I tell them a lady in Hoover (I do get my hair from her, after all.) When people make comments about wanting to pull their hair out (which I notice happens quite a lot,) I focus on keeping my face calm and relaxed so as to not give myself away. I wring my hands; I bite my nails; I eat too much, and I cry, and then when I go to sleep, I dream of full, long hair, a scalp with no bald spots, how heavy real hair might feel and what it would be like to have someone play with it because it's been so long that I just can't remember. 

     For all these years, I've thought it's been so much easier to lock all my insecurities inside myself and present to the world a perfect version of me. What I've come to understand now is that while I may have felt safe hiding my insecurities, I have damaged myself so much more. I've taught myself to think that no one who knew the truth would love me, but I've never given anyone the chance to prove me wrong. 

     I harbor resentment toward girls who always talk about how much they hate their hair, how it never does anything, how they're having bad hair days. I've closed myself off from friendships because I let myself believe I'm unwanted in every way. I do not like to try new things because I cannot tolerate criticism; to me, that automatically means I am not good enough. I've drained my life of peace, joy, and fellowship because in my attempt to live safely, I've stopped living at all.

     I realize that in some instances, my battles may be extreme, may be something you cannot relate to, and yet I know, underneath the surface, you truly understand everything I'm saying. You may not pull your hair out or deal with emotional eating or obsessive teeth brushing, but I know you deal with something. Every human being does. We all have that one thing (or those 12 things) that mock us in the mirror or haunt our hearts throughout the day. We all think the best way to deal with those things is to hide them, keep those around us from knowing our struggles and our battles. After all, if they really knew the truth, how could they see us as anything but hideous? 

     We hide in our insecurities, thinking we are safe there, but the reality is we are not. When we hold our imperfections so close to our hearts, we allow them to feed on us, to grow in our minds, and to overshadow our entire lives in shame. We give them more power than they should ever have; we allow them to dictate every decision we make, every relationship we have, and every thought we speak over ourselves and others. This, my friends, is not safety. There is no safety in shame. There is no safety in fear.

     Today, I have done the one thing I've been afraid of the most: I have admitted to the whole wide world that there is so much of me that is ugly. Please do not be mistaken. I am not ugly because I have no hair or because my BMI is too high. The part of me that is ugly is the part that has allowed myself to believe for 12 years that I was unworthy, unwanted, and unloved because I have no hair and my BMI is too high. For 4,376 days, I have stood in front of a mirror and lied to myself, but today, I am telling the truth: I am not safe living inside my insecurities, and neither are you. 

    We need to see that it is not an issue or an imperfection that makes us unattractive; instead, it is our unwillingness to confront our problems that disgraces us. When we harbor our anxieties, we allow them to ensnare us, giving them complete and total control over our lives. When we speak out, when we admit the issues of our hearts and make a stand against the secrets and the lies we live with inside our minds, we take back control. When we realize we are not alone in our struggle, and we see that there are successful, beautiful, favored, and blessed people all around us who are also imperfect, we give ourselves power to look at that snarky, back-biting image in the mirror and tell it to shut up.

     Tomorrow morning when I look in the mirror, I will still see bald spots on my scalp and imperfections on my skin, but I will also see something else. I will see a woman who is loved by her Heavenly Father, by her husband, by her family, and by her friends. I will see a woman who is capable of many things (even ones she has not tried) and wants so desperately to explore the world around her. I will see a woman who was brave enough to tell the truth. I will see a woman who believes in Jehovah Rophe, the God Who heals and who restores. I will see a woman who has hope for the future.  I will see a woman who is beautiful in her imperfections.






Psalm 139

13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise youbecause I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. 17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! 18 Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you.

10 comments:

  1. This is the most amazing and brave thing anyone I know has ever done! When I look at you each Sunday morning I see a beautiful woman that loves her Heavenly Father and is not afraid to let others see that!! Thank you so much for sharing who you are with us all. And yes you are loved by many!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, you know I am nothing if not honest. That being said, you truly are the most beautiful person I know- inside and out. You are amazing for finding the courage to be honest. Your words, as always, are inspiring. I am so proud and happy for you that you can finally see what others have always seen in you. I know your openness will be such a blessing to others as it has been for me. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are beautiful...always have. In addition to your beauty, you are also brave, a good writer and hilarious. Great read Meg and keep walking tall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, I have always thought you were such a beautiful person. You have always been brave when you could have run away. You are such an inspiring young woman. I am proud to know you and have you as a sister. God has a way of placing things in our lives that we may not make sense of now, but in the future we look back at all the lives we touched without knowing it. Be the amazing Megan that you are and continue down this path of growth. I can't wait to see where it takes you! Psa. 139:14 is what exactly came to my mind when reading this and I love how you incorporated it at the end. Love you! Continue being strong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of you and super impressed at your courage to be public about your struggles. The same struggles so many of us are hiding from ourselves. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want you to know that you are an AMAZING WOMAN! I know from experience (somewhat) the things you are feeling. No I've never pulled my hair or dealt with the things you mentioned but I too have created my very own prison in many ways. I want you to know that I am so very proud that you were brave enough to share your struggles, I can speak for only myself but can tell you that reading this tonight has made a HUGE impact on my life and mental insecurities. I think sometimes it takes hearing that others "deal" and push to overcome to help us realize it can be done and there are others that we can reach out to for help. Thank you for your courage and I pray that God opens up opportunities in your life that will help you be an overcomer and show the devil who is boss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meggie Poo I love you and always have. I have loved you when you were a little girl in those ruffle dresses your mom use to put on you. I have always been so proud of you in everything you do and continue to do. I am glad you took this storm by the boots. Your super great and actually you look really cute with your natural hair cut in that last picture. Sassy Classy! Love you kiddo.You know who.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are beautiful inside and out. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a powerful testimony! God will use you to touch maybe one heart; maybe many hearts; because you are willing for Him to do so. Praying for His continued blessings on you. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christy Guthrie CataldoMarch 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM

    I am speechless! You are an amazing example for so many. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete